Friday, October 26, 2007

"Toko Oen" the Old Fashioned Resto





This was my favorite place when I was a boy. I was born in Semarang and my parents quit often brought me to this legacy restaurant. It was the fanciest Ice Cream and Steak Restaurant besides the one in Dibya Puri Hotel in Semarang (I don’t know whether this hotel still exists). I brought my Family to this place last June during our children School holiday.

The location it self is in Jl. Pemuda at the opposite of "Sri Ratu" Department Store. It is a well known Department Store in Semarang, so don't worry about getting lost there, every Semarang people know where it is.

It is an old fashioned restaurant; serving old fashioned dish mostly “Holland” style like "Huzarensla", "Wiener Schnitzel" and their specialty is “Ox tongue steak”, besides the dish this restaurant is popular with their old fashioned Ice Cream like “Tutty Frutty”, “Napolitan” and many others.






In the one of the corner they also have old fashioned style pastries like “Nastar”, “Kastengel”, “Schuimpjes “, “Speculaas” and many more. I even can’t remember their name.

The interesting part is because they put their first Cash Register machine in display as a decoration in there. And it keeps my Kid very curious of it.





The restaurant it self was not too crowded during our visit, it also has a VIP room separated from the main hall. When it comes to taste, hmmm …… seems that nothing special there. I think because our appetite has changed with lot of new fancy comers coming in. But It is a historical place ……. It worth to visit.

No comments: